Submit Manuscript  

Article Details


Evaluation of General Health Status in Diabetic Patients Using Short Form Health Survey (SF-36)

Author(s):

Ali Shlash Al-ibrahimya and Ihsan Salah Rabea*   Pages 1 - 7 ( 7 )

Abstract:


Objectives: This study aimed to assess the general health of diabetic type 2 patients by using SF-36 and to find if there was an association between the scores of eight domains of this tool with disease-specific and demographic variables.

Method: Cross-sectional study was conducted to evaluate the general health of patients with diabetes mellitus type 2. The participants of the present study were randomly selected from rural and urban areas. The diabetic patients who were attended at community pharmacies in these areas were invited to participate in this study after explaining the goal of the study. The self-reported questionnaire in the Arabic version of the medical outcome survey which was the Short-Form (36-item) was administered to be reported by the patients with the exception of uneducated patients who were interviewed by trained pharmacists in the community pharmacies.

Results and Discussion: Two hundred confirmed DM patients were enrolled in this study with a mean age of (50.65 ±8.914 years). 142 (71%) were male and the remaining 58 (29%) were female. The scores of all dimensions of SF-36 were significantly lower (p < 0.05) in diabetic women than scores of men. The diabetic patients with age of greater than 50 years also have significant lower scores of most dimensions of SF-36 (p < 0.05) except for emotional well-being (p > 0.05). The multivariate linear regression analysis shows that the gender, age and treatment type (except emotional wellbeing, social functioning, and pain) were associated independently with health status as measured by SF-36.

Conclusion: This study showed a significant negative correlation between diabetes mellitus and the health status as measured by SF-36. The gender, age and treatment type (except emotional well-being, social functioning, and pain) were associated independently with health status as measured by SF-36.

Keywords:

Diabetes Mellitus, General health, SF-36, cross sectional study, factors associated, Iraq

Affiliation:

Clinical pharmacy department, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Kufa, Najaf Governorate, Clinical pharmacy department, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Kufa, Najaf Governorate



Read Full-Text article